Rajendra Institude of Medical Sciences, India
Title: PCOS and Pregnancy Outcome
Dr Gopa Chowdhury, Rtd. Associate Prof, Obstetrics & Gynaecology, MD, FICOG, has her expertise in different areas of Gynecology and Obstetrics and is passionate about spreading her knowledge through papers, articles, Knowledge sessions and her work with patients in the rural region of Jharkhand. She is an Executive member of ROGS and has held different positions as Speaker, Panelist, Chair-person in ROGS and National conferences. Dr Gopa was also the Vice President – FOGSI ROGS (Ranchi Obst, & Gynae Society); 2013-2015 and is an ongoing active member of the group. Besides her work as Associate Prof., she Several Papers published in State, National, International Journals and has been an active participant in CMEs, Conferences (State, National, International): FIGO-SAFOG, RCOG, FIGO, AOCOG, SICOG (oral and paper presentation), National-YUVA-FOGSI, AICOG as delegate and faculty
Polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS), an intergenerational condition, is one of the most common endocrine syndrome affecting the reproductive system, encompassing metabolic, cardiovascular, dermatological, psychological conditions starting from adolescence. 4-8% prevalence in reproductive age. Effects manifest via deranged hormone profile with main complaints of menstrual irregularity, hirsutism, and infertility.
GDM-50-100 gm oral glucose tolerance test, PIH-BP >= 140/90 mm of Hg with Protinuria >= two by dipstick (>3gm / 24 hr.). Gestational age >= 20 weeks, premature delivery < 37 weeks
- After Metformin 49% (1345)
- After Ovulation induction with Clomiphene Citrate 37% (1016)
- After Gonadotropin 0.3% (82)
- No turn up 11% (303).
- Women with PCOSare at higher risk for pregnancy complications. 69% (1686) delivered after 37 completed weeks. 23% (562) before 37 weeks. 8% (195) spontaneous abortion.
- Significant obesity. BMI >= 25 present in 72% (1686)
- Major pregnancy complications:
- PIH 54% (1213), GDM 56% (1258), premature delivery 23% (517)
- Caesarean delivery high in 32% (719) mainly due to GDM causes big baby and severe PIH 29% (652)